Brampton's Lawyer for Work Permit

Work Permit

Most people need a work permit to work in Canada.

There are two types of work permits: open work permits and employer-specific work permits:

1. Open work permits

An open work permit allows you to work for any employer in Canada. You can only get an open work permit in specific situations.

2. Employer-specific work permits

An employer-specific work permit allows you to work according to the conditions on your work permit, which include:

  • The name of the employer you can work for
  • How long you can work
  • The location where you can work (if applicable).

In most cases, the Canadian Employer will need to apply for LMIA (Labour Market Impact Assessment), to hire a foreign worker. In order to receive a Positive LMIA, the employer must prove to Canadian Government that the hiring of a foreign worker will have a positive or neutral effect on the Labour Market of Canada. The Canadian employer must also prove that they could not find a suitable Canadian citizen or Permanent resident to fill up the job for which they have applied for LMIA.

Call to set up an appointment to discuss.